Tiwi by Design
Spend a day on Bathurst Island (Tiwi Islands) with a local Tiwi guide who will show you their community on this cultural walking tour.
Travel to Wurrumiyanga on Bathurst Island (Tiwi Islands) on the SeaLink ferry. After the 2.5 hour journey, wander up to Tiwi Design from the ferry landing for a traditional welcome ceremony and morning tea (damper and a cuppa). Your guide will then show you through the museum where you will learn of the culture and history of the Tiwi People. Next it is on to the historic mission precinct followed by lunch at Tiwi Design and a 'behind-the-scenes' screen printing session with a local Tiwi artist to create your own art piece to take home. Board SeaLink's ferry from Wurrumiyanga for the 2.5 hour journey back to Darwin.
Whilst on tour, you also have the opportunity to purchase unique and traditional Tiwi artworks including paintings, fabrics, carving, pottery and clothing at island prices - an authentic Tiwi experience!
|Operates||1st April 2019 to 12th December 2019 on Thursdays and Fridays with additional Mondays during peak season (June, July, August – excluding Public Holidays)*|
|Departs||Cullen Bay (Darwin) at 08:00 (8:00 am)|
|Returns||A Cullen Bay (Darwin) at 1745 (5:45pm)|
- Return ferry travel from Cullen Bay (Darwin) to Wurrumiyanga on Bathurst Island (Tiwi Islands)
- Welcome ceremony
- Traditional morning tea
- Walking tour with a local Tiwi guide,
- Cultural art session including a take-home art memento
- Tour of Tiwi Museum and the historic mission precinct
* Days of operation, schedules and tour itineraries are subject to change, sometimes without notice