6 Day Flinders Ranges Outback & Highlights of Kangaroo Island Tour
Rawnsley Park Station will be a highlight on this tour with hosts Julie and Tony Smith providing true outback hospitality and Aussie station experiences. Stay in luxurious Eco Villas, all with commanding views of the surrounding landscape. Touring includes the spectacular and rugged scenery of Wilpena Pound and the magnificent Flinders Ranges region with its wealth of wildlife, geology and ancient history. At Nilpena Station, take a fascinating station and Ediacaran fossil tour, and enjoy outback food and hospitality at the famous Prairie Hotel at Parachilna. Then travel through the stunning Clare Valley wine region for some wine tasting and lunch before returning to Adelaide.
After a nights accommodation in Adelaide, discover Kangaroo Island’s nature and wildlife up close and in the wild on your next fantastic two-day tour. See Australian sea lions, kangaroos, koalas and native Australian birds in pristine wildlife settings. Travel to Flinders Chase National Park at the western end of the island and discover the awe-inspiring formations of Remarkable Rocks and Admirals Arch. See a colony of Long-nosed Fur Seals on the rocks at Admirals Arch from the viewing platforms and boardwalk. Experience this unspoilt and natural wildlife haven and you’ll soon see why Kangaroo Island is one of Australia’s iconic nature-based destinations.
Departs from Adelaide on Fridays:
April - 5, 12 & 26
May - 3, 10, 17, 24 & 31
June - 14, 21 & 28
July - 5, 12, 19 & 26
August - 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30
September - 6, 13, 20 & 27
October - 11, 18 & 25
November - 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29
March - 13, 20 & 27
Inclusions & Highlights
- Morning pick-up and evening set-down at selected Adelaide CBD hotels
- Morning and/or afternoon tea and lunch each day
- See the Kanyaka Station Homestead Ruins
- 2 nights standard accommodation in a One Bedroom Holiday Unit at Rawnsley Park Station including daily continental breakfast
- Enjoy a 'Sunset on the Chace' tour (operated by Rawnsley Park Station)
- 2 course dinner in the Woolshed Restaurant at Rawnsley Park Station
- 3 hour Guided Daybreak Loop Walk to Rawnsley Bluff including a cooked bush breakfast (operated by Rawnsley Park Station)
- See picturesque gorges on your tour around Wilpena Pound and the southern Flinders Ranges including a picnic lunch
- Delight in a 3 course Lamb Tasting food experience with matching wines
- Explore the historic mining town of Blinman and take a scenic drive through Parachilna Gorge
- Signature Antipasto platter lunch, sunset pre-dinner drinks with canapes and a 3 course a la carte dinner at the Prairie Hotel
- Nilpena Station Ediacaran Experience
- 1 nights accommodation at the Prairie Hotel including a full cooked breakfast
- Journey through the Clare Valley to Paulett Wines & Bush Devine Café for wine tastings & 3 course lunch
- 1 nights accommodation at the Stamford Plaza Adelaide
- Return flights to Kangaroo Island, including transfers to airport
- Delicious gourmet picnic style lunches with SA wine in natural bush setting
- Unforgettable beach walk to see Australian seal lions at Seal Bay Conservation Park
- See koalas, kangaroos, wallabies, echidnas and birdlife in their natural environment
- 1 nights accommodation on Kangaroo Island, including breakfast
- Explore Flinders Chase National Park, and its iconic sights, Remarkable Rocks and Admirals Arch
- Watch kangaroos and other native animals graze at Kelly Hill Conservation Park
- Personalised 4x4 touring with expert commentary from your local Driver/Guide and all entrance fees and special permits
Day 1: Adelaide to Flinders Ranges (LD)
Your Flinders Ranges Odysseys guide will pick you up from your Adelaide hotel around 7.30am to commence your 4 day tour into the majestic Flinders Ranges. Sit back and relax while you travel through the mid-north region of South Australia stopping at the old copper mining town of Burra for morning tea and then Orroroo for lunch.
Enjoy views of Mount Remarkable as you head to the towns of Wilmington and Quorn. The majestic Flinders Ranges come into view as you get closer to the small outback town of Hawker. On the way, stop at Kanyaka Station Homestead Ruins and see what’s left of this once massive sheep and cattle station of about 950 square kilometres before arriving at Rawnsley Park Station, your home for the next two nights.
Rawnsley Park Station overlooks the southern side of Wilpena Pound and provides the perfect base for exploring the Finders Ranges. Late afternoon, enjoy a Sunset on the Chase tour where you’ll watch the stunning sunset reflect on the Chase Range as you sip on local wine and enjoy delicious canapes. The 40 minute drive through the property provides a great opportunity to see native wildlife then finish your day with a 2-course dinner in the Woolshed Restaurant, an authentic Australian converted woolshed serving delicious Modern Australian cuisine. Overnight: Rawnsley Park Station.
Day 2: Flinders Ranges (BLD)
Early this morning join the 3km Daybreak Loop Walk where your experienced local guide will introduce you to the unique plants and wildlife of Rawnsley Bluff. Learn how the ancient sea floor has been uplifted and eroded to create this amazing landscape. Complete your morning with a cooked bush breakfast.
Spend the rest of the day touring around the southern Flinders Ranges including the local sights, picturesque Bunyeroo and Brachina Gorges and peaceful walks taking through the creek beds.
This evening, join a tour of the old woolshed and enjoy a 3-course Lamb Tasting food experience where local lamb from the property will be showcased, and prepared in three different and delicious courses. Clare Valley wines will be matched with each course. The dinner will finish with South Australian port and local cheeses (vegetarians will be catered for). Overnight: Rawnsley Park Station.
Day 3: Flinders Ranges to Parachilna (BLD)
This morning, relax with breakfast in your private Eco Villa or Holiday Unit and for the more adventurous, you may like to take an early morning scenic flight from Rawnley Park Station with Chinta Air to gain an appreciation of the scale and beauty of Wilpena Pound (additional cost and must be booked through your Guide the day prior)
Farewell your hosts and Rawnsley Park Station and continue your tour through the small outback copper mining town of Blinman. Leave the bitumen here and traverse the beautiful Parachilna Gorge, with ancient river beds, towering ghost gums and spectacular rock formations. Arrive at Australia’s #1 Outback Hotel, the Prairie Hotel, where their “cult” feral food menu has been recognised as 1 of 20 “unmissable outback experiences” and has people from all over the world talking about the unique and delicious food. You’ll get to enjoy one of their Signature Antipasto Platters for lunch.
After lunch visit Nilpena Station for a fascinating tour of the working Cattle Station, red sand dunes and the Ediacaran Fossil Site, where you’ll witness fossils that are over 500 million years old, which have been preserved in the ancient sea-floor. Finish the day off with sunset drinks on the verandah and canapés at the Prairie Hotel, followed by a stunning 3-course A La Carte dinner. Overnight: Prairie Hotel, Parachilna.
Day 4: Parachilna to Adelaide, via Clare (BL)
Start your day with a delicious cooked breakfast before departing Parachilna and travel south with the western side of the Flinders Ranges in view. Stop at the old railway township of Quorn, before continuing your journey through to the charmingly secluded Clare Valley, one of Australia’s oldest wine growing regions. With its picturesque, rolling countryside, unique geography, and climate you will see why it is a premium grape growing area.
Enjoy wine tastings and a 3-course lunch at the family owned Paulett Wines Cellar Door and Bush Devine Café inspired and partly sourced from the adjacent Bush Food Garden. After lunch, farewell Clare and return to Adelaide, arriving at approximately 5.30pm. Overnight: Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Day 5: Adelaide to Kangaroo Island (L)
Early this morning you will be collected from your hotel and transferred to the Adelaide Airport for your flight to Kangaroo Island. On arrival at Kingscote Airport, meet your local guide and your island nature experience begins with an introduction to Kangaroo Island. Tour through several island habitats and see wildlife in their natural environments. Listen to the distinct sounds of the native birdlife as they chorus from the tall eucalyptus trees. As you travel the island keep an eye out for echidnas, wallabies, reptiles and wildflowers.
At the spectacular Seal Bay Conservation Park, your guide will escort you on a memorable walk along the beach. Home to a healthy Australian sea lion colony, walk amongst them as they bask on the beach or in the sand dunes after their extensive fishing expedition. With your guide you are able to stand at a safe distance to these wonderful endangered creatures and hear them sigh and watch them at play. This is a truly unforgettable experience — one that you will treasure forever.
Enjoy a delicious gourmet picnic style lunch with local KI wine in an exclusive Heritage-listed natural bush property. Follow lunch with a pleasant bushwalk or a stroll along the beach. Explore the spectacular beaches and enjoy a bushwalk. Listen for Australia’s rarest cockatoo, the Kangaroo Island glossy black cockatoo and watch out for the Tammar wallaby, in its natural habitat.
Later in the afternoon, as the day draws to a close, see the kangaroos leave the safety of the bush to begin grazing on the open pastures. Your tour concludes at your choice of accommodation for your overnight stay on Kangaroo Island. Overnight: Choice of Superior or Standard accommodation on Kangaroo Island
Day 6: Kangaroo Island to Adelaide (BL)
Travel to the western end of the island and discover the Flinders Chase National Park, one of the oldest and most important national parks in South Australia. The park incorporates almost 20 per cent of the island and much of it is a Wilderness Protection Area, home to a variety of fauna and flora unique to Kangaroo Island. Enjoy the opportunity to walk through the park in search for kangaroos, wallabies and a variety of birdlife.
See some of the 10,000 healthy Long-nosed Fur Seals in their colony at Cape du Couedic and discover the formation of Remarkable Rocks. These large granite boulders balance dramatically on the cliff edge, which plunges 75 metres into the turbulent Southern Ocean below. At Admirals Arch see where the powerful forces of nature have cut through the headland to create a natural geological formation. Today your gourmet style picnic lunch will be served in a secluded bush setting.
By special permit, enter the Kelly Hill Conservation Park to see kangaroos and other native wildlife emerge from the safety of the bush land to graze on the open plains. Your tour concludes at Kingscote Airport for your return flight to Adelaide and transfer to your chosen accommodation.
- Itinerary is subject to change and weather conditions on the day.
- This tour is not recommended for children up to 7 years and prices available on application for children aged 7-14 years.
- Accommodation upgrades available at Rawnsley Park Station to a One Bedroom Eco Villa for an additional charge. - There are no extra person prices on these tours.
- MINIMUM NUMBERS: If minimum numbers are not met at 30 days prior to departure, an alternate date will be offered or a full refund given.